Been a while since I wrote a food blog post… and even longer since I posted a recipe!
Last week, I wasn’t feeling 100%, and on those kind of days, baking always helps. For me, baking is therapeutic. Something about following a recipe and creating this beautifully delicious treat really clears my mind. Huge bonus point is that I get to eat afterwards. I figured some chocolate therapy would help me feel instantly better. I saw a box of Trader Joe’s dark chocolate peanut butter cups sitting in my pantry calling my name and thought, why not make cookies out of them?
Best. Decision. Ever
I’m a peanut butter chocolate FIEND. From Reese’s, Justin’s and Trader Joe’s — give me all the peanut butter cups. What better way to enjoy them (besides on their own) than in cookie form? For these cookies, I particularly like using the dark chocolate peanut butter cups to offset the sweetness of the cookie itself – but milk chocolate will totally do if that’s your preference!
This recipe is adapted from Buzzfeed Tasty’s Best Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies (one of my go-to chocolate chip cookie recipes). I hope you enjoy!
If you want to see the video on how I make these, check it out on my Instagram!
Gooey Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
Peanut butter chocolate lovers, this one's for you! Recipe has been inspired and adapted from Buzzfeed Tasty: https://tasty.co/recipe/the-best-chewy-chocolate-chip-cookies
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 - 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1.25 cups all-purpose flour
- 0.5 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 oz dark or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped*
- 0.5 cups dark chocolate peanut butter cups, chopped (or your preference)*
1. Combine the melted butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until combined
2. Mix in the vanilla and egg until smooth (there should not be any lumps)
3. Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt and fold with a spatula until just combined (be careful not to overmix*)
4. Add in the chopped peanut butter cups and chocolate chunks and fold
5. Chill the dough for at least an hour, but for an intense toffee-like flavor, chill for at least 12 hours**
6. Scoop the dough and place them on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes, until the edges have slightly browned
8. Let cool completely and enjoy!!
*Measurements are approximate - add as much chocolate as you like 😉
** Highly recommend not overmixing the dough -- this will make your cookies crispy and flat. Gently folding the dough until just combined will help make the cookies thick and soft
*** I know these cookies are tempting, but letting the cookie dough chill in the fridge overnight is worth the wait! This will help enhance the toffee flavors and cool the butter in the dough, which will help make the cookies nice and chewy
My husband is going to love me today! I can’t wait to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing! I love peanut butter and mixed with chocolate it double delicious!
It’s such a great flavor combo! I hope you enjoy them!
This looks awesome! Adding to my gotta try list!